Do you dare to enter inside the magma chamber of a volcano? Delve deep into Thrihnukagigur and explore the lava tunnels coursing through it on this tour from Reykjavik.
Thrihnukagigur Lava Tunnel
After meeting your guide at 8 am in Klettagarðar, you'll climb aboard a bus and head to the southeast of Reykjavik. Following a half an hour drive, you'll arrive at the Thrihnukagigur Volcano.
Get kitted out with all the equipment you need to safely enjoy this unique activity, then, with your helmet and harness on, you'll begin your 1.8 mile (3 km) hike to the volcano crater.
Climb onto the special open elevator for the descent into the volcano and marvel at the striking colours of the dramatic rocky walls of the cave as you're lowered almost 400 feet (120 metres) to the bottom. Thrihnukagigur lava tunnel awaits you!
Explore the magma chamber of the volcano, which last erupted 4000 years ago. Did you know that this cave is so tall, it could fit the Statue of Liberty inside? Its sheer size will leave you speechless!
At the end of your tour of Thrihnukagigur lava tunnel, you'll return to the surface for the return journey to your original departure point in Reykjavik, where you'll arrive at 1 pm.
All of our providers comply with local legislation and applicable health recommendations regarding protection and safety, to help avoid the spread of Covid-19. Specifically, the provider of this tour will apply the following measures:
- A safe distance of one metre between clients will be maintained whenever possible.
- The use of masks is obligatory. The client must bring their own mask.
- Alcohol gel will be available before, during, and after the service.
- All those running the service (guide, driver etc...) will wear a mask throughout its duration.
- Handing out of printed material such as maps or brochures will be avoided.
- The transport used will be disinfected before and after each service and deep-cleaned every 24 hours.
- Showing your voucher on your phone will be enough, and it is not necessary to print anything.
|Per person||Children under 12|
Per personUS$ 348
Children under 12not permitted
The activity takes place with a guide that speaks in english.
Transport by bus.
English speaking guide.
Entrance to Thrihnukagigur Lava Tunnel.
Helmet, flashlight and all necessary equipment to explore the tunnel.
Elevator ride into the volcano.
When to book?
You can book up until 24 hours before the activity as long as there are still places. Book now to guarantee your spot.
Show the voucher on your phone to take part in the activity.
No, not suitable for people with reduced mobility or pushchairs/strollers.
Frequently asked questions
Q - How to book?
A - To reserve the activity, choose the date and complete the form on this page. You will receive your confirmation immediately.
If you have any other questions please contact us.