Delve into the Icelandic wilderness on this day trip to the Askja Volcano: marvel at the stunning natural landscapes and bathe in steaming hot springs. What are you waiting for?
Askja Volcano Day Trip
On the day of your excursion, you'll meet first thing in the morning on the banks of Myvatn Lake in Reykjahlíð, ready to set off on your adventure into the Icelandic highlands.
Throughout the journey through the breathtakingly beautiful landscapes of Iceland, you'll make several stops to stretch your legs, have something to eat, and marvel at the spectacular views around you. After around a three to four hour drive, you'll arrive at the Askja Volcano.
You'll have approximately two and a half hours of free time to explore the area around the Askja Caldera at your own pace. Take photos to immortalise the unique scenery, relax in the fresh mountain air or, if you're feeling energetic, follow the short half hour walking trail from the car park up to Askja Lake and the Viti Crater. There, you'll have the opportunity to enjoy a dip in the natural pools (weather permitting)... and don't worry, they're hot springs so the water is always between 20 and 30 degrees celsius!
Then, after a brief stop in Drekagil, your Askja Volcano tour will come to end, and you'll be dropped back off at your original departure point in Reykjahlíð.
The activity takes place with a guide that speaks in English.
Return transport to Askja
When to book?
You can book up until 10 hours before the activity as long as there are still places. Book now to guarantee your spot.
Type of voucher
Electronic. Show the voucher on your phone.
Accessible only for folding chairs. Accessible toilets. An accompanying person is required. This must be indicated in the reservation.
All services published on Civitatis are carried out in accordance with our Sustainability Code.
Our providers commit to:
- Provide a safe and satisfying experience.
- Reduce, reuse, recycle.
- Incorporate eco-conscious technologies.
- Uphold fair employment standards.
- Foster the growth of local communities.
- Preserve the integrity of local culture.
- Safeguard both cultural and environmental heritage.
- Ensure ethical treatment of animals.
- Operate with honesty and transparency.
- Encourage sustainable behaviors among customers and staff.
This particular activity contributes as follows:
- Printed material is avoided.
- No single-use plastics are used.
- The show represents local culture.
- The activity promotes local production.
- No printing of documentation required.
- Promotes local employment.
- Has a gender equality policy.
- Has a carbon footprint offset policy.
Frequently asked questions
Q - How to book?
A - To reserve the activity, choose the date and complete the form on this page. You will receive your confirmation immediately.
Q - Is a minimum number of participants required?
A - This activity requires a minimum of 10 participants. Should this number not be reached, we'll get in touch with you to offer alternatives.
If you have any other questions
Arnarnes, 660 Mývatn.