Public holidays in Iceland
Find out when museums and monuments will be open and what dates to visit to celebrate holidays like a local. Discover Iceland's public holiday dates.
Public Holidays in Iceland
- New Year's Day: 1st January.
- Maundy Thursday: (variable date).
- Good Friday: (variable date).
- Easter Monday: (variable date).
- First Day of Summer: First Thursday after 18th April.
- Labour Day: 1st May.
- Ascension Day: (variable date).
- Pentecost Sunday and Monday: (variable date).
- Icelandic National Day: 17th June, one of the landmarks of Icelandic history. It celebrates the official constitution of the Republic of Iceland, which took place on 17 June 1944. Until then, Iceland had belonged to Denmark since the 14th century.
- Commerce Day: First Monday of August.
- Christmas Eve: 24th December.
- Christmas Day: 25th December.
- St. Stephen's Day: 26th December.
- New Year's Eve: 31st December.