Delve into a volcanic lava tube on this tour of the caves of Raufarhólshellir, one of the longest lava tunnels in Iceland, on this tour from Reykjavik.
Raufarhólshellir Lava Tunnel Tour
After meeting at your chosen time at the BSI Bus Terminal in Reykjavik, we'll set off from the Icelandic capital towards the Raufarhólshellir lava tunnel, located just half an hour's drive away.
Once we reach the cave, we'll get kitted out with safety helmets with flashlights to embark on a guided tour of the lava tube. The one-hour visit will take us on a route around the caves and underground galleries created by volcanic activity over 5000 years ago.
The tunnel is almost 4,500 feet (1,360 metres) long, making it the fourth-longest lava tube in Iceland, and our low-difficulty walk will cover around 1,150 feet (350 metres) of it, allowing us to see an amazing array of colours created by the different volcanic minerals embedded in the rock. What's more, we'll learn all about the natural phenomena that shaped this geological gem. The Scandinavian country has several lava tunnels, but Raufarhólshellir is one of the most spectacular.
The Raufarhólshellir lava tunnel has several wooden staircases and walkways that allow us to visit different areas of the cave in complete safety. Among them is a very special cave: perhaps you'll recognise it from the movie Noah, starring Russell Crowe and Anthony Hopkins, that was filmed here.
At the end of our visit to the lava tunnel, we'll make the return journey to our original departure point by bus, where you'll be dropped off around 30 minutes later.
The minimum age to take part in this activity is 3 years old.
All of our providers comply with local legislation and applicable health recommendations regarding protection and safety, to help avoid the spread of Covid-19. Specifically, the provider of this tour will apply the following measures:
- A safe distance of one metre between clients will be maintained whenever possible.
- The use of masks is obligatory. The client must bring their own mask.
- Alcohol gel will be available before, during, and after the service.
- All those running the service (guide, driver etc...) will wear a mask throughout its duration.
- All those running the service (guide, driver etc...) will wear gloves throughout its duration.
- Handing out of printed material such as maps or brochures will be avoided.
- The transport used will be disinfected before and after each service and deep-cleaned every 24 hours.
- The capacity of all means of transport will be reduced to 80% of their maximum capacity.
- Showing your voucher on your phone will be enough, and it is not necessary to print anything.
- Alcoholic drinks are not available.
|Adults||Children between 12 and 15 years old||Children between 3 and 12 years old|
Children between 12 and 15 years oldUS$ 45.80
Children between 3 and 12 years oldFree
The tour is exclusively in English.
Transport by bus with WiFi on board.
English speaking guide.
Entry to Raufarhólshellir Lava Tunnel.
Helmet, flashlight and all necessary equipment to explore the tunnel.
When to book?
Book as soon as possible to guarantee availability, especially during public holidays and festivities.
You can book up until the previous day (12:00 am) if there are still places available.
We will send you a voucher that you can show on your phone to take part in the activity.
Frequently asked questions
Q - How to book?
A - To reserve the activity, choose the date and complete the form on this page. You will receive your confirmation immediately.
No (not suitable for people with reduced mobility or pushchairs/strollers).
Vatnsmýrarvegur, 10 (BSI Bus Terminal).