Enjoy hiking on top of Vatnajökull glacier, the largest glacier in Iceland. This incredible natural location is the setting for numerous films and series and it's sure to take your breath away.
Vatnajökull Glacier Hike
Upon booking, you can opt for the 3 hour or 5 hour route:
3 hour route
We'll meet in Skaftafell, where our guide will equip us with everything we need to make the hike on the glacier as safe as possible. Once equipped with the helmet, harnesses, ice axes and crampons, we'll get on the bus that will take us to the vicinity of the Vatnajökull glacier, the largest glacier in Iceland.
As soon as you arrive you'll see the beauty of this glacier, located within the largest national natural park in Europe, which is considered to be one of the best natural settings. Its white and mountainous areas have appeared in many successful films and series, such as James Bond, Tomb Raider, Batman and Game of Thrones.
We'll trek for around 60 to 90 minutes, and discovering the many formations such as cracks on the surface of the glacier, vertical wells or ice tunnels (only visible in winter), an unforgettable experience in the midst of Icelandic nature.
Finally, we'll return to our starting point after experiencing the incredible sensation of walking over a glacier.
5 hour route
The itinerary will be the same as in the 3-hour route, but we'll dedicate more time to the trekking activity. An experience only suitable for the most intrepid and sporty ones!
- This is a medium difficulty hike and will last approximately one hour over uneven ground. It is not recommended for people with heart problems.
- If you take the hike in the winter, you must wear warm clothes and appropriate footwear to walk on snow and ice. If you take the hike in the summer, we recommend taking a rain jacket. We'll provide you with the necessary technical equipment for the activity (helmet, crampons and torch).
All of our providers comply with local legislation and applicable health recommendations regarding protection and safety, to help avoid the spread of Covid-19. Specifically, the provider of this tour will apply the following measures:
- Tours or activities will not consist of more than 12 people per group.
- A safe distance of one metre between clients will be maintained whenever possible.
- Alcohol gel will be available before, during, and after the service.
- Handing out of printed material such as maps or brochures will be avoided.
- The transport used will be disinfected before and after each service and deep-cleaned every 24 hours.
- The capacity of all means of transport will be reduced to 66% of their maximum capacity.
- Showing your voucher on your phone will be enough, and it is not necessary to print anything.
3 - 5 hours.
The activity takes place with a guide that speaks in english.
Transport in a heated vehicle.
English speaking guide.
When to book?
You can book up until the previous day (11:59 pm) if there are still places available. Book as soon as possible to guarantee availability.
Show the voucher on your phone to take part in the activity.
No, not suitable for people with reduced mobility.
Frequently asked questions
Q - How to book?
A - To reserve the activity, choose the date and complete the form on this page. You will receive your confirmation immediately.
If you have any other questions please contact us.
Skaftafell Terminal Tour Center (Flugvallarvegur 5, 785 Öræfi, Iceland).