Have you ever dreamt of hiking on a glacier in Iceland? Dare to embark on this unforgettable hike to the Sólheimajökull glacier.
Sólheimajökull Glacier Hike
We'll meet in Sólheimajökull at the arranged time and get kitted out with all the necessary equipment to set off on our glacier hike. Then we'll walk for about 15 minutes until we reach the Sólheimajökull glacier, part of the Mýrdalsjökull glacier, one of the largest in Iceland.
Our hike will be around 60 to 90 minutes long, as we admire the cracks in the surface and the glacier mills, waterfalls that form in the ice. We'll also find out about one of the most fascinating characteristics of this glacier, the appearance of volcanic ash.
As you hike across this white, rocky landscape, you'll feel as if you're walking on the moon. As the glacier lies on the Katla volcano, the eruptions have formed a landscape that looks like something out of a science fiction movie!
After our hike, we'll head back to the starting point.
- The route we'll walk is of medium difficulty and is not recommended for people with heart problems.
- The hike will last approximately one hour over uneven ground.
- Only children over 8 can go on this tour.
- If you go on this hike in winter, you must wear warm, waterproof clothing and walking boots. If you do it in the summer, we recommend wearing a rain jacket. We'll provide you with the necessary technical equipment for the activity (helmet, crampons and torch).
All of our providers comply with local legislation and applicable health recommendations regarding protection and safety, to help avoid the spread of Covid-19. Specifically, the provider of this tour will apply the following measures:
- Tours or activities will not consist of more than 6 people per group.
- A safe distance of one metre between clients will be maintained whenever possible.
- The use of masks is obligatory. The client must bring their own mask.
- Alcohol gel will be available before, during, and after the service.
- All those running the service (guide, driver etc...) will wear a mask throughout its duration.
- All those running the service (guide, driver etc...) will wear gloves throughout its duration.
- Disinfected radio units will be provided, and headphones will be single-use.
- Handing out of printed material such as maps or brochures will be avoided.
- The temperature and wellness of all those taking part in the service will be monitored daily, excluding and maintaining in quarantine any who display fever or symptoms.
- The temperature of all attendees will be taken, and admission will be denied to those with a temperature of more than 37 degrees Celsius (99 Fahrenheit), and a full refund applied.
- The transport used will be disinfected before and after each service and deep-cleaned every 24 hours.
- The capacity of all means of transport will be reduced to 50% of their maximum capacity.
- Showing your voucher on your phone will be enough, and it is not necessary to print anything.
- Alcoholic drinks are not available.
Per personUS$ 79.30
The tour is exclusively in English.
English speaking guide.
When to book?
Book as soon as possible to guarantee availability, especially during public holidays and festivities.
You can book up until the previous day (12:00 am) if there are still places available.
We will send you a voucher that you can show on your phone to take part in the activity.
Frequently asked questions
Q - How to book?
A - To reserve the activity, choose the date and complete the form on this page. You will receive your confirmation immediately.
No (not suitable for people with reduced mobility).
Tröll Expeditions Sólheimajökull