Enter a world of ice and snow: discover the wonder of Iceland's mesmerising blue ice cave and hike over the enormous Vatnajökull Glacier. An unforgettable experience!
Skaftafell Ice Cave Tour & Glacier Hike
On the day of your tour, meet your guide at the Skaftafell Terminal, where you'll be kitted out with all of the specialist equipment that you'll need to safely enjoy your activity. Once you've got your helmet, harness, ice pick and crampons, it'll be time to begin your trek through the Skaftafell National Park to the Vatnajökull Glacier.
Vatnajökull is the largest glacier in Iceland and the largest in Europe outside of the Arctic, so hiking over it is a truly incredible experience. Explore the uneven terrain, marvelling at the different formations in the ice formed due to the volcanoes underneath it and the constant movement of the glacier.
After enjoying the adventure of hiking over the glacier, it'll be time for the next part of your tour. Prepare yourself to be left speechless by the stunning natural beauty of the blue ice cave. The cave is located under the glacier, and the pressure and lack of air means the icy walls are a striking blue colour.
Ice caves like this one are natural phenomena that are rarely seen, as they formed out of exceptional conditions. You'll have enough time to explore the awe-inspiring cave and feel the magic of this unique scenery.
At the end of your tour, you'll return to the original departure point.
- The hike that you will do on this activity is of medium difficulty. It lasts around an hour over uneven ground, and is not recommended for people with heart problems. The tour spends 10 minutes inside the cave for safety reasons.
- This tour is only suitable for people over 8 years of age.
- If you do this activity in winter, you must wear warm, waterproof clothing and hiking boots. If you do the activity in summer, we recommend bringing a raincoat. We will provide the rest of the equipment that you'll need (helmet, harness, ice pick and crampons).
All of our providers comply with local legislation and applicable health recommendations regarding protection and safety, to help avoid the spread of Covid-19. Specifically, the provider of this tour will apply the following measures:
- Tours or activities will not consist of more than 6 people per group.
- A safe distance of one metre between clients will be maintained whenever possible.
- The use of masks is obligatory. The client must bring their own mask.
- Alcohol gel will be available before, during, and after the service.
- All those running the service (guide, driver etc...) will wear a mask throughout its duration.
- All those running the service (guide, driver etc...) will wear gloves throughout its duration.
- Disinfected radio units will be provided, and headphones will be single-use.
- Handing out of printed material such as maps or brochures will be avoided.
- The temperature and wellness of all those taking part in the service will be monitored daily, excluding and maintaining in quarantine any who display fever or symptoms.
- The temperature of all attendees will be taken, and admission will be denied to those with a temperature of more than 37 degrees Celsius (99 Fahrenheit), and a full refund applied.
- The transport used will be disinfected before and after each service and deep-cleaned every 24 hours.
- The capacity of all means of transport will be reduced to 50% of their maximum capacity.
- Showing your voucher on your phone will be enough, and it is not necessary to print anything.
- Alcoholic drinks are not available.
Per personUS$ 130.30
The tour is exclusively in English.
Expert English speaking guide.
Transport by air conditioned vehicle.
When to book?
Book as soon as possible to guarantee availability, especially during public holidays and festivities.
You can book up until the previous day (12:00 am) if there are still places available.
We will send you a voucher that you can show on your phone to take part in the activity.
Frequently asked questions
Q - How to book?
A - To reserve the activity, choose the date and complete the form on this page. You will receive your confirmation immediately.
No (not suitable for people with reduced mobility).